Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Food I found in Temerloh Pahang

I went for on village homestay program for 2 weeks in August, honestly I am not use to village life, but I am happy I made it through. I learn to love Temerloh because of their food, besides the family I stay with has a mom who cook really well, I had Fish cooked in Durian sauce (Ikan Patin Masak tempoyak) or deep fried Talapia. Temerloh is famous for the Patin fish which look like cat fish but the head is slightly wider. I tried these fish in many style of cooking here, fried, sauces, steamed and even grilled. The village where I stay throughout the program are mostly Kelantanese and during teabreaks or breakfast, I had lots of Kelantanese delicacies such as Satar and Lompat Tikam. Satar is fish meat that's wrapped in banana leave in cone shape and is grilled over flamming charcoal fire. Lompat Tikam is a very sweet dessert that has two layer, green and white, main ingredient are coconut milk with rice flour. The dessert is normally served cold with generous helping of coconut syrup or gula melaka. Another local delicacies are banana fritters or cekodok pisang, mashed banana that's mixed with flour, sugar and water and then deep fried til perfection. Most of the local delicacies are sold cheapest at RM0.30 to RM0.50. Fish dishes are expensive in Temerloh compare to the rest of town in West Malaysia. Patin fish could reach up to RM12 per kilo. But people always hunt for good food regardless the price, well not everyone but I am definitely one of them.

No comments: