Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Manila Food Craze


My family and I went to Manila for a holiday last year, how and why we choose to go there is beyond me, I wanted to go to Bangkok at first but I think something came up, our trip to Bangkok is canceled and is replaced with other trip. Some how, we choose to go to Manila because mom always wanted to see the churches and buy christian relics there, which I found fascinating too. Apart from food of course, the trip was alright, we have a little storm at Clark airport and the cab and hotel have some misunderstanding but we manage to get a cab to our hotel at Cherry blossom hotel. Its very strategic location, which is near the Robinson's Mall. Here's a tip guys, if you travel, always get a cab from the mall, they are much cheaper and has a meter rather than took those at hotel which is double a price. The hotel is alright but I hated that its infested with cockroaches, the hotel vain efford to get rid of them with controlled pesticides, some how these bugs manage to live through that. The worst part is they eat my Bibingka cake. How disgusting! Now that's an introduction to my food craze in Manila, I found this really delicious cake call Bibingka, it made of plain flour, rice flour, sugar, ghee and coconut milk. These cake are cooked on an oven and then the hot yummy bibingka is sprinkled with sugar or cheese on top. These processes were done at Bibingka stall all over Manila. Cost 21 peso, that's RM1.70 then.
Another place I love in Manila is the food court, there are like food heaven, any mall you go, they bound to be great food court, Robinson, Mall of Asia, Glorietta or others. There's food everywhere, mostly consist of roasted pork, grilled seafood,salted eggs and etc. You can't help but be amazed with the colourful food presentation. Most meal cost from 60 peso or RM4.70 including soft drinks, now that's a bargain. I found it strange that they don't have Ice Nescafe on the menu though, somehow it annoyed me because I get all cracky without a dose of Nescafe, but breakfast at cherry blossoms turn out to be better than the room co-habitant. They serve american breakfast,no buffet but ala carte. They served bacon and eggs, ham & eggs, mangoes and pancake etc. I like them all, simply delicious. Cherry blossom Room rate is about RM120 a night. For those who fear about security in Philipines,well you know how media tend to exaggerate the news. I went to a restaurant called Iceberg and the interior is very clean and hip. We are kind of sceptical at first but we are glad we had our dinner there. By the way, I probably should introduce you to some food I've tasted and enjoy at Manila, there's Bangus or fried fish fillet with mangoes, Fried To fu, Sisig or mince pork cooked with onion (common but very delicious!) You just have to try them, I don't think you will regret it. I found my holiday in Manila very enjoyable, shopping and food haven. I will definitely come back.

No comments: